Sorry for slacking on the posts these past few weeks. Been hectic with the end of school year, graduation, meetings, etc. But Spring has turned to Summer, and with that comes some time off for me, so hopefully I can get back in the swing of things. To catch up I'm going to have to do a quick sprint drill of the past month or so using photos and a few words here and there.
Before that though, something I've been reminded of lately - language is fluid, dynamic, and ever changing. What means one thing one day could mean something completely different the next. Context is everything. For example, the term "burning a CD" at one point meant to actually take a certificate of deposit (remember those?) and light it on fire. Then it meant to make a copy of a compact disc (some younger readers out there may be Google-ing "compact disc" right now to figure out what on earth it is/was). All this is to say that as times change so too does language. My run in with this has been with sayings or idioms that I used to use one way, now have become literal for me. For instance...
- When I tell Livi, "Don't be such a cry baby!" or "Act your age!"
- When my wife tells me "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."
- The term "spitting image"
- When I "drop the baby off at the doorstep," that is in fact what I am doing
- One I suspect will apply later on is, "Like taking candy from a baby," probably when Livi gets some teeth.
Phrases I hope never become literal for me:
- "Hit me baby one more time."
- "The dingo at my baby" (not sure what that is suppose to mean, but I just hope it never happens).
- "Baby boomer" (not sure why, but the possible literal meanings of this term conjures up scary images for me).
OK, enough of that nonsense and on to more nonsense. And now for the greatest hits from the past month or so (drum roll please......)
 |
| Bad hair day (or bad chin day. Take your pick) |
 |
| Rough day at the office. "Ugh, these parents can be so difficult sometimes." |
|
 |
| Bring your baby to work day |
 |
| Livi and mom at my first photo show. "Daddy, I like this one. Let's buy it!" Done. |
 |
| Oh no he didn't! Oh yes I did. Daddy has fun with a new app. You know you'll be seeing more from this. Just wait.... |
 |
| Mommy's first raw seafood since the start of pregnancy! Mmmmm, oysters.... |
Livi is growing. The scotch bottle doesn't lie!
 |
| Livi then: roughly 8lbs and about 21in tall (circa April 2011) | |
|
|
 |
| Livi now: 12 lbs 10oz and 24in tall! (taken June 2011) |
 |
| My first Father's Day! The best gift ever (and my new favorite holiday) |
 |
| Livi's first Pride Parade! Yay NY! If it can make it there, it will make it anywhere, right? Come on Cali, we can do it! |
|
|
|
And the grand finale. Hiccups....
That's a few of the highlights. Throw in lots of laughs, some crying here and there (usually around 7pm by both Livi and her dad), listening to Red Sox games, walks in the park, and some more laughs, and you are pretty much up to speed with things.
Coming up in the next edition: Livi's new hand moves, her first flight (Jet Blue passengers flying on July 4 to Long Beach you've been warned), and her first encounter with her 94 year old great grandfather! Stay tuned...
No comments:
Post a Comment